Saturday, December 27, 2008

Gotcha Day

Well, we got'em! As I type he is walking/crawling around laughing hysterically as dad chases him. Is there a sweeter sound? Not at this moment.

We started the morning off at the vital records and they gave us his adoption certificate and new birth certificate with us as his parents and his address at Attebery Road! Then we went to the orphanage. Since it was Saturday there weren't many people at the orphanage and it was short and sweet. They wished us well and he happily waved bye. Then we went to the bank where he had about $500 in his account from the goverment. We gave that to the orphanage, that's what most families do. Then we came back to the apartment. He has only slept about 1 1/2 hours today and he normally has about 4 hours of nap during the day. We fed him lunch (mashed potatoes, carrots, meat) and then put him in the bath tub. He hated the bath tub, cried the entire time. It was worth it though, orphanage smell is gone and baby smell is here! Woohoo!

Tonight he had some eggs, mashed potatoes, and bread. Peed on the pot, twice. They told us to set him on there certain times a day and he knows what to do. But then while I was scrambling eggs Jason yelled, "He pooted" and then I heard, "No, I think he did something else...he's pooped" It was hilarious, Jason came in the kitchen not holding him against him, I stopped cooking the eggs took him upstairs and this was a nasty one! Jason came in and was gagging then he ran into the bathroom. I was cracking up and then Hudson started laughing and Jason was definitley NOT, he was saying, "It's not funny, it's nasty"! That was Jason's first diaper experience-not a good one:)

Happy Birthday to my mom or soon to be known as MawMaw! How does it feel to be a grandmother, finally! And on your birthday! Could we have given you a better gift?! Just think forever you and him will celebrate together. Birthday and Gotcha Day. For those of you who aren't familiar with the adoption term Gotcha Day. It's the first day that you have your child. You celebrate it every year and a lot of people make a bigger deal out of it than birthday's. A special day to remind your child just how much they are wanted and loved.

All in all this day has been pretty awesome. We're almost to the end of this 2 year 4 month paper trail yet this is only the beginning of the rest of our lives together. Plane tickets over $7,000, drivers in Moscow $100 per day, passports and visas over $1,000, Hudson Luke Carney-PRICELESS! I feel like the Sara Evans song, "Every prayer has been answered, every dream I've had has come true. Right here in this moment is right where I'm meant to be. Here with you, here with me. And I could not ask for more."

5 comments:

Mayme said...

Praise God! I have been watching your blog all night while I was at work and couldn't wait to see the pics. I just got up and had to check your blog before I did anything else. I am so happy for you all and if he doesn't have the sweetest smile I don't know who does. Tell Jason that the poop thing doesn't really get any better! Emma tends to do it in the tub almost everyday! Congratulations and we wish you a safe journey home with YOUR boy. God is SO good.
Mayme

Melissa said...

Congratulations!! He is just so adorable, and I'm so happy that you are all finally together!

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah! I"ve been thinking of you ALL DAY (hoping you would get a chance to call...) and all the "firsts" you 3 would be experiencing together. He looks to me like he's at home. Glad he layed a big 'ole poopie for ya'all! i love you and can't wait to see you in a few more days!! :)
~mandy j

Maria said...

When I found my birthfamily, I made them a CD of songs that told them how I felt -- the Sara Evans song was on there. It's perfect!! I'm so happy to see you guys with him finally. EVERY adoption is a perfect gift from God to both the family and the child. I love the "poop" story, too!!! Iris sent me your blog address so I'm SO HAPPY that I'll be reading for hours now!!

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Such a sweet little face! Gotcha Day seems like a dream when I look back on it now (and it was only like 3 weeks ago)! It sure looks like you are all enjoying yourselves. You have almost reached the summit of Mt. Adoption. I'm looking forward to reading that you are all home safe and sound!

Kim