Monday, January 12, 2009

Vanderbilt Adoption Clinic

Sleeping in the car today, when he gets good and to sleep his two fingers fall out of his mouth and his little lips pooch out!!
Laughing at Dad

I wish I had sound effects for this picture. He puts his face underwater and blows bubbles. I think he'll be ready for the swimming pool this summer.

Hudson and his buddy!

Rockin' out with Granny and the guitar!
So today was a very long day! We left this morning for Vanderbilt at 7:15 and didn't leave there til almost 1:00. Everything was great until nap time came! Unfortunately nap time was the time they did his TB test and drew 7 of those tubes of blood-NOT FUN! The doctors were fantastic. We spent almost an hour with each dr.
First we saw the developmental pschycologist. She was very happy with him and said he seemed to be attaching well. He never went to her or the other lady and constantly came to one of us to be held. Once he fell and bumped his head and started to cry and came to me. She said to keep doing what we are doing and stick to him just being with us for a while. I have noticed him really preferring us and not wanting to be held near as much by everyone else. Twice over the weekend when we have let him sit with family members he has screamed for me back. She also said we need to go to one nap a day in the afternoon, they sleep too much in the orphanage.
Second we saw an occupational therapist. She helped us with the texture issue and said she thinks it is not that bad and gave us some suggestions. She said his fine motor skills are good. He stacked blocks with her but got a kick out of knocking them over and he did other things with her.
Third we saw the pediatrician. She was awesome. He has gained almost a pound since Dec. 30 so that puts him at 23lbs. and he is 32 in. long. His height was 54% and weight 14% so he has some catching up to do on the weight end but we're working on it. His head size was also very good, I can't remember what it was though.
We will get his test results back at the end of the week and each doctor will also get us their evaluation of him. We were very very impressed and happy with the Vanderbilt Adoption Clinic. Each doctor answered all of our questions (and you know me, there were lots!) with great detail and patience. We just can't say enough about it, if you are adopting definitely take your child there when you get home, the Carney's give it 2 thumbs up!
Tomorrow is our first post placement visit. Our social worker, Chris, will be coming out and visiting at 8:30. Should I have warned her I am not a morning person :)
Oh, and I'm lovin' my new washer and dryer. When the guy brought it and I had to sign the paper I told him I have never been this excited about washing clothes. He said, "Don't worry it'll wear off after 3 loads." He was right, but I still think it's awesome I can put that many clothes in a washing machine.




4 comments:

Mayme said...

Glad you guys got such a good report. Hope the PP visit goes well!

Mayme

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going well. Now you can kick back and enjoy life! You all are always in our thoughts. Chad, Paige and girls

Melissa said...

When we got Camden's referral, we took his file to that same clinic, and they were very good. Glad you got a good report!

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

I don't know how we missed you. We got there at 10:15 am (all six of us) and were pulling out of the parking garage at 1:38 pm. Did the nurse have trouble getting blood from Hudson? It was horrible for poor little Lexi. The nurse had the hardest time and had to stick her three times using both arms. I am soooo glad that is over. The rest of the visit was great though.