Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A year ago today...

I enjoy reading about everyone's anniversarys and so I'm tickled to be able to post about how one year ago today me and Jason laid eyes on the most precious little boy ever! So I'll try not to make this too lengthy, but sometime I get carried away...


Let me back up a few weeks. On July 1, 2008 I was sleeping and it was a little after 7:00 a.m. when my cell phone rang then my home phone, then my cell phone, after about 3 calls I figured I could see who it was. Afterall, this person must not know that I am NOT a morning person and I don't begin to function until after the clock turns to 8:00. Eyes half open I looked at who called and didn't recognize the number. But when my cell phone rang again and it was the same # it hit me that it was our social worker, Chris. I had e-mailed her a note to call me because I had a few questions about some paperwork and I figured that is what she was calling about. So here's how it went, "Hey Chris, I just had a few questions about our paperwork, nothing too important." She said something like, "Well, I have a question for you...There are only 2 families ahead of you guys and this morning we received 3 referrals, are you interested in a little boy?" I don't remember what I said at that point because there were tears and so much joy and then LOTS of phone calls. At this point we didn't have any information out there except that there was a little boy in Moscow and 2 other families, one was going to be referred a boy and the other a girl.


About a month and a half before this Jason and I had started feeling really unsettled with the other country we had originally started our adoption with. I immediately wanted to switch countries to Russia. Jason said no, that we were going to pray about it and make sure it was God calling us to switch countries and not us being impatient. So after about a month God gave Jason the okay and Jason told me to go ahead. In God's perfect timing, our agency had just started the Moscow program (the other adoptions went to St. Petersburg and other regions in Russia but not Moscow). There weren't too many families that were signed up for it yet, would we want to do the Moscow program and of course, you know, we did. Had we signed up when I wanted to then we would have been in another region in Russia and on a long list. So we went to our agency and changed all of our paperwork over in about one day. Isn't God's timing so perfect. I'm so thankful for a man that is patient and listening for the Lord!


So remember, we had just filled our paperwork out a few weeks prior and it had to be translated and mailed over. There were a few more things that we needed to fill out and that of course had to be translated and mailed over, too. So we knew we would be receiving our referral info. as soon as they had our info. in Russia. Those next 3 weeks were long and I tried to keep myself busy so they would not inch by. I was in for lunch on the 22nd and checking my e-mail when I got "THE CALL". Chris said, he's so beautiful and told me what the paperwork said and then I refreshed my computer several times waiting on his pictures and info. Boy, were those butterflies fluttering in my stomach! Finally after what seemed like years, there he was, Hudson Luke Carney and his chubby cheeks and big brown eyes. I ran around the house screaming and jumping up and down, fell on my face in awe of my God, what a moment! I called Jason and he was at the lawn mower shop getting a mower fixed and if you know us, then this conversation will not suprise you. Me, "Jason, you have to see him, he's adorable!" Jason, "I am at the mower shop I don't know how." Me, "Do they have a computer there?" Jason, "Yes, the lady at the desk has a computer but I don't know her and I can't take over her computer." Me, "Oh, yes you can, now get over there and tell her you have to see your son for the first time." And he did (again, good man, he listened to his wife:) So the first time Jason saw Hudson was at the lawn mower shop with a receptionist over his shoulder saying, "aaawwww"! I remember Jason making me repeat how old he was, 11 months, which is very young for a Russian adoption. And all Jason had prayed for for 2 years was, "Lord, let him be young and healthy!" And he was.

I'm going to stop now because I'm getting a little teary eyed thinking about this little boy and where are we are a year later. How special he is and how much joy he brings to our lives. How I am crazy about him and I love getting random hugs from him especially in the morning when he wakes up. How sweet he is and his cute little country voice when he says, "Hey Mama" when I walk into the room. How this morning when we were coming home from the barn he was sitting right next to me with a tractor in each hand bobbing his head to some Tenth Avenue North (my child's got rhythm!). Oh, my heart, it just praises You, Jesus, I love You so much!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow! It sounds like a whirlwind. And he is so cute. You never know what life will bring you, but this time what a cutie!
Melissa

Mayme said...

Hard to believe it's been a year. Time really does fly and our little ones are adorable aren't they! We will soon celebrate gotcha day and I simply can't believe it. Your boy is handsome and what a blessing! Take care.
Mayme

Amanda said...

I loved reading this. What a beautiful story of God's provision and grace. Hudson is such a precious little boy!!